A pain in the head with the pain being above the eyes or the ears, behind the head, or in the back of the upper neck, headaches has main causes. All the headaches are considered primary and secondary, while primary headaches are not associated with other diseases; examples of a headache are a migraine , tension , sinus headache. A secondary headache is caused by the other diseases.
The tension headaches are the most common type of a primary headache. As many as 90% has these are due to tension. Not all headaches require doctor’s attention.
Types of headaches:
Migraine headaches are one of the most common problems in the clinics now. This is mainly due to the changes in the brain and surrounding blood vessels. A migraine is typically last from 4-72 hours. According to the national headache foundation, more than 37 million Americans suffer from a migraine, and it affects three times as many as women than women.
types of migraines:
- Common migraines account for 80% of migraines
- People with migraines experience an aura, an aura is a visual disturbance
The exact cause of this headache migraine is not clearly understood, but the experts believe that they are due to a combination of the expansion of blood vessels and the release of certain chemicals which causes inflammation (swelling) and pain.
The chemicals like dopamine and serotonin are among involved in a headache migraine, these chemicals are present in the brain and cause blood vessels to act normally in the brain , if they are present in abnormal amount or if the blood vessels have become sensitive to them, there are various causes to bring about a migraine , different people have different causes, these can include:
- Certain foods like chocolates, cheese, nuts, alcohol, bring on the headaches in some people
- Missing a meal may bring headaches
- Stress and tension are also risk factors
- Birth control pills also a common trigger in some women
- Smoking can also cause a migraine
The most common symptoms of a migraine are:
Nausea or vomiting
Sensitivity to sound
Treatment of a migraine involves over the counter (OTC) or prescription medication.
Prescription medication used to relieve the pain of a migraine
Lifestyle modification such as diet and exercise may be useful to help a migraine manage .
Some people find that exercise such as yoga that muscle relaxation and are helpful in pain management.
A sinus headache:
These are the headaches that may feel like an infection in the sinuses , you may feel pressure around the eyes, cheeks and forehead.
However, many people assume that they a headache from sinusitis, many have received such as diagnosis, actually have migraines or tension headaches.
- Pain and pressure and fullness in cheeks, eyebrows, forehead.
- Worsening pain if you have bent forward or lie down
- Stuffy nose
- Fatigue (muscle weakness)
- Achy feeling in your upper teeth
- Over the counter pain relievers:
Migraines and other types of headaches may be treated with over the counter medication, such as acetaminophen*, naproxen sodium*, ibuprofen*
Many people with migraine attack can use this medication, Triptans work by promoting the constriction of the blood vessel and blocking pain pathways in the brain.
Ergots and caffeine combination drugs migorgot*, cafergot* are less effective than triptans. Ergot seems to be very effective those whose pain lasts for more than 72 hours.
Ergotamine* causes worsened nausea .
Anti- nausea medication:
Severe headache causes:
Some people have severe headaches requiring specialized medical treatment , in rare cases may be the cause of the life-threatening problem. The worst headache is the symptom of the medical emergency.
Severe headaches cause:
- Tension headaches
- Migraine headaches
- Head injury
Severe headache symptoms:
- Paining in the head or upper back
- Visual changes, fever, nausea, and vomiting.
- A headache that involves one or both sides of the head
- Rapid headache
Severe headache treatment:
Self-care at home:
- Most affected individuals usually may take an over the counter headache medication, such as acetaminophen* to reduce a headache, taking ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory is not advisable because a headache is due to the bleeding in the brain , the medication, even more, worse
The worst headache of your life is may be a life-threatening emergency, a headache is due to head injury and the headaches with a loss of vision or numbness of the arms and legs are an emergent medical condition.
The headaches symptoms can help your doctor determines its causes and the appropriate treatment.
The main causes of a primary headache are:
*Changes in sleep
Causes of Secondary headaches:
*brain aneurysm (a bulge in an artery in your brain)
*corbon monoxide poisoning
*high blood pressure
A number of treatments are available for treatment to treat headaches such as taking pain relievers such as aspirin, naproxen, and acetaminophen.
- Lifestyle modification such as diet and exercise may be useful to help in managing headache.
- Some people find that exercise such as yoga that muscle relaxation and are helpful in pain management.
- Avoiding headache causes:
*Certain foods like chocolates, cheese, nuts, alcohol, bring on the headaches in some people
*Missing a meal may bring headaches
*Stress and tension are also risk factors
*Birth control pills also a common trigger in some women
*Smoking can also cause a migraine
There are many natural home remedies for the treatment of a headache quickly and easily:
For instance, dehydration is one of the major cause of a headache in some people, in such cases, simply by drinking a glass of water can help to treat a headache, in the same way, there are many natural ingredients which are helped to treat a headache:
Here are the some ingredients for a headache:
- Mint juice
- Peppermint oil
- Lavender oil
- Ice pack
- more diseases