Zika virus it is a mosquito-borne flavivirus, that it is first identified in the 1947 at Uganda in the monkey?s while monitoring yellow fever. Then it is later identified ?in ?humans in 1952 in Uganda as well as republic of Tanzania. Some of the cases are recorded in Africa, Asia and pacific.
Facts about Zika virus:
- It is mainly transmitted primarily through Aedes mosquitoes and by sex.
- The main symptoms of this virus are skin rashes, mild fever, conjunctivitis, headache, joint pains. These symptoms can last for 2-7days.
- There is a scientific evident that this virus is may cause due to microcephaly and guillain-barre syndrome.
- Unborn babies are more prone to this virus complications.
- There is a vaccine called ?Rubella vaccine? now it is mandatory for children and adults, it protects against this virus.
- U.S travellers bringing this virus back with them
- You can prevent Zika virus by using insect repellents
- Controlling mosquitoes can help to prevent ZIka virus
Symptoms of Zika virus:
The incubation period of this virus is few days? after the exposure to symptoms. symptoms of this virus are skin rashes, mild fever, conjunctivitis, headache, joint pains. These symptoms can last for 2-7days
Complications associated with Zika virus:
After the lot of research, scientists have been said that the cause of this virus is microcephaly and guillain-barre syndrome.
Modes of transmission:
It is primarily transmitted through the bite of infected mosquito from the Aedes genus, generally, the mosquito bite is during the day and the late afternoon, this is the same mosquito which transmits dengue, chickungunya and yellow fever. Sexual transmission of this virus is also possible.
Zika virus Diagnosis:
The diagnosis of this virus is based on the symptoms and recent travel history or the residence or travel in the areas where active Zika virus transmission. This virus infection may also confirmed by the laboratory tests on blood and other fluids like urine, saliva, semen.
Zika virus is mild and it does not need any treatment, but the infected person should drink plenty of fluids treat fever and pain with common medicines.
Protecting against mosquito bites is the main thing to prevent this virus, this can be done by the wearing clothes that cover body, using the window barriers such as curtains screens, sleeping in mosquito nets, and using insect repellants containing DEET, IR3535, special attention may give to the persons who may not able to get protected themselves such as children?s and elderly persons.